Oldest Vine by Guinness Book of Records
Old Vine, the oldest vine in the world, is the oldest living specimen on our planet of a noble grape vine that still bears grapes! With an age of over 400 years it is registered in the Guinness Book of Records as the oldest vine in the world.
Wine facts of World`s Oldest Vine
- Old Vine's grape, the sort Žametovka or Modra kavčina is one of the oldest domesticated noble wine sorts in Slovenia
This is one of the oldest domesticated vintage wine sorts in Slovenia. In former times it was popular in Styrian vineyards but it was even better known, also today, in the region of Doljenska in southeast Slovenia – the renowned red wine Cviček is made from it.
Žametna Črnina or Modra Kavčina is namely the most important sort of the renowned red wine called Cviček. It has palmate lobed leaves and beautiful big bunches of grapes with big grapes, which are pleasant to eat. They give the wine a clear red colour.
"The wine from the Old Vine is a pleasantly full-bodied wine. The environment where the Old Vine grows – its location near water, on the south façade of the house - contributes to the high grade of sugar and quality of wine," explains Anton Zafošnik, city vinedresser and custodian of the Old Vine, who with great perseverance and will saved the vine from advancing decay at the end of the 1960s.
- The 35 to 55 kg symbolic annual grape harvest is bottled in 2,5 dcl glass bottles, designed by the famous artist Oskar Kogoj, that represent a precious protocol gift - annually more than 100 bottles are filled.
Events and highlights around oldest vine
Visit events in honour of the Old Vine
The wine-cultural highlights of Maribor and its surroundings
- Take a walk along the river Drava embankment: visit the Old Vine, the queen of all vines, and the Old Vine House, on the frontage of which grows the Old Vine
- The Old Vine House, a temple of wine tradition and culture: exhibition and wine tasting room, selling point and tourist information centre
- Maribor's wine underworld, wine cellars, bars, and museums: Vinag Wine Cellar, wine cellar Dveri-Pax, Meranovo Estate, Rožmarin Wine Bar, Maribor Wine Bar in Water Tower, Viticultural Museum Kebl
- Wine roads: Maribor, Podpohorska, and Upper Slovenske Gorice wine-tourist road and The Trail of Archduke Johann intertwine over the hilly, wine growing surroundings of Maribor. Numerous wine shops and tourist farms offer excellent white sorts and Štajerska delights,
- excellent, traditional wine and food of Štajerska.
Listen to the Old Vine Anthem!
(Performed by Neuvirtovi Štajerci and Mariborski oktet; recorded by Radio Maribor.)
Text of the Old Vine Anthem.
Historical points of interest about viticulture in Štajerska
The Old Vine: World's Oldest Vine